The STEAM Academy
H Building, 1001 Burkemont Ave.
Morganton, NC 28655
Director: Kathy Amos, Ed.S.
Where to Find Us
The mission of STEAM Academy is to prepare high school students to be globally competitive in science, engineering, agriculture, and math through a technology driven, culturally diverse, collaborative experience.
STEAM Academy is located on the campus of Western Piedmont Community College with the purpose of providing both Advanced Placement and Honors courses for the student who is interested in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art/Agriculture, and Math) careers.
Although targeted to STEAM students, any high school student can benefit from these courses with advanced rigor and 21st Century skill development. Due to the advanced rigor, an application process is necessary as there is limited seating. Students may take as few as one course at STEAM Academy, or as many as five courses at STEAM Academy. The student must provide his/her own transportation to STEAM Academy. There is no cost for attendance, except as noted below, at STEAM Academy as long as the student is a full-time student in good academic standing at one of the traditional public high schools in Burke County Public Schools.
• Opportunity for specialized coursework not available on any other BCPS campus
• Classes taught by NC School of Science & Math via interactive, virtual classrooms
• Honor’s GPA credit: 5.0 for 11-12th graders/4.5 pt. scale for 9-10th graders awarded for NCSSM classes – PLTW (Project Lead the Way) Courses carry 6 pt. scale for 11-12th graders / 5 pt. scale for 9-10th graders -- Honor’s GPA credit: 5.0 for 11-12th graders/4.5 pt. scale for 9-10th graders awarded for Adobe classes.
• Engineering classes utilize advanced technology and hands-on activities
• Students remain enrolled at home high school and may participate in sports, band, clubs, etc.
• No transportation provided
• May begin STEAM classes any time during high school years
• May take multiple blocks at STEAM per semester
• Must complete STEAM application
• Most NCSSM classes have Biology and Math III as pre-requisites
• Small class sizes with limited seating available
The STEAM Academy >